SBY to investigate Alfredo’s supporters in Indonesia – Timor Post
President José Ramos-Horta said that Indonesian President Soesilo Bambang Yudhoyono (SBY) has told him that his government will carry out investigations to find evidence related to the supporters of Alfredo Reinado in Indonesia.
“Last year Alfredo went to Indonesia and stayed in Jakarta, and made an interview with Metro TV. Investigations show many contacts from Indonesia with Alfredo. It has nothing to do with the Indonesian government of TNI.
I got confirmation from President SBY that Indonesia will find compelling evidence to indict some individuals in Indonesia,” said PR Ramos-Horta in a press conference held at Comoro Airport, Dili upon his return.
Horta: “Even though I almost died, I don’t want Salsinha to die” – Timor Post
Salsinha asked the State to stop the Apprehension Operation which has been set to hunt him and his men, and to receive all the petitioners.
“Salsinha has to explain who told him and backed him to destabilize this nation,” said PR Horta in his speech to the National Parliament on Thursday (17/4) in Dili.
PR Horta is appealing to Salsinha to come down and submit himself to justice and explain to the court how the attempt of February 11 was planned.
Horta: Government should buy rice with money from the petroleum fund – Timor Post
Even though PR Horta is not totally recovered yet, he is trying to solve the problems of poor people in this country by asking PM Xanana Gusmão to buy food [rice] with funds from the petroleum fund.
“I give thanks to all people, people who are barefoot and poor. My preoccupation right now is that the entire world is facing hunger.
The price of rice is increased. Those who are poor are getting poorer at this time. So I am asking the Government and the National Parliament to use resources from the petroleum fund to buy food for the poor,” he said at the press conference held at Comoro Airport, Dili on Thursday (17/4).
Govt. to force Rogerio back to prison – Timor Post
Through the Ministry of Justice, the Government has decided to force former Minister of the Interior, Tiago Rogerio Lobato, to return to prison in connection with his conviction for organizing the militias to fight against F-FDTL in the 2006 crisis.
“Now we have made preparations for [Mr. Rogerio]. I will instruct the prison guards to meet him directly at the airport and bring him to the prison to complete his prison term as sentenced by the court,” said Minister of Justice Lucia Lobato on Thursday (17/4) in the National Parliament.
Former Minister Rogerio Lobato went to Malaysia for medical treatment as he was about to be imprisoned in Becora Prison for the crime of organizing the militias to fight against F-FDTL in the 2006 crisis.
SES to provide extraordinary security to President Horta – Timor Post
The State Secretary for Security Francisco Guterres said that security forces consisting of the National Police of Timor-Leste (PNTL), Defence Forces of Timor-Leste (F-FDTL), Rapid Intervention Unit (UIR), Rapid Deployment Service (URP), United Nations Police (UNPol) and International Security Forces (ISF) are ready to provide extraordinary security to President Ramos-Horta.
State Secretary Guterres said that the security forces will be placed at the President’s residence to secure his safety and will conduct check points around the residence.
Ed: President has returned. Is Salsinha going to surrender? – Timor Post
President Ramos-Horta has returned to Timor-Leste after his medical treatment in Darwin, Australia. His presence responds to the peoples’ hope since that he should be back to Timor-Leste.
Now that he has returned, will Salsinha submit himself as he promised on the return of President Horta? What is Salsinha thinking about now?
Is he going to surrender or not? If he surrenders, then he accomplishes his promise to the people and the nation. All parties will consider him as an honest and brave man. If not, then Salsinha creates a big burden for the people and the nation.
We don’t know exactly whether Salsinha will submit himself or contact PR Horta or be arrested by the Joint Operation Command. Only time will tell.
Horta: “Salsinha has to alive to tell the truth” – Diario Nacional
PR Ramos-Horta said that he does not want Salsinha to be killed in the process of submitting himself to justice so the he can tell the truth about the plan of attack on February 11.
PR Horta said that he was the only president in the world who followed the rebels in order to negotiate, with the result that he was shot and wounded.
“Some time ago I told Alfredo and Salsinha that if you play with the weapons, then they will hit back to you,” said PR Horta in speech to the National Parliament on Thursday (17/4) upon his return from Australia.
PR Horta also appealed to Salsinha and his men to listen to him and ignore others who are trying to influence them.
“We know that Alfredo and Salsinha gathered the petitioners. So I am asking Salsinha to surrender in Gleno’s Parish [in Ermera], then come to Dili to surrender his rifle … There’s no other place for Salsinha to talk, the only option is in court,” said PR Horta.
Lasama: The crisis could be solved in 2008 – Suara Timor Lorosa’e
The President of the National Parliament Fernando Lasama hopes that with the return of President Horta, the crisis being faced by the country could be solved this year.
“I believe that on the President’s return, and working with the sovereign organs of government, the nation’s problems could be resolved in 2008,” said PR of the National Parliament Lasama during the extraordinary session of the National Parliament on Thursday (17/4).
Separately, the Secretary-General of Fretilin Mari Alkatiri said that the President needs everyone’s support in order to recover 100%.
“We should find a way to support the president to complete his mandate well,” said Mr. Alkatiri.
F-FDTL: Army to take peacekeeping forces’ training – Suara Timor Lorosa’e
The State Secretary for Defence, Julio Thomas Pinto said that the Government of Timor-Leste through the Department of Defence is planning to send its army to Australia to take peacekeeping forces’ training.
The training program for peacekeeping forces is part of an existing package between Australia and Timor-Leste for its defence programme.
“In this agreement, Australia agrees to send its advisors to F-FDTL and the Department of Defence of Timor-Leste and also agrees to welcome our army forces to take peacekeeping forces’ training, including training in Navy,” said Mr. Pinto on Thursday (17/4) after signing the agreement of cooperation between the Department of Defence of Timor-Leste and Australia.
UN mission calls for renewed commitment to peace in Timor-Leste – Relief Web (Geneva, Switzerland), April 17
The United Nations mission in Timor-Leste today applauded the return of President José Ramos-Horta and called for strengthened and community-wide commitment to achieving enduring peace.
The head of the UN mission in Timor, Special Representative Atul Khare, greeted President Ramos-Horta at Dili airport. Mr. Khare congratulated him on his return and welcomed his determination to resume his duties as President.
President Ramos-Horta was wounded in a shooting attack on February 11 by rebel soldiers. He has spent the past two months in Australia undergoing medical treatment. During this time he was visited regularly by Special Representative Atul Khare, who on Thursday assured the President of the UN’s continued support.
Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Timor-Leste, Atul Khare said:
"I look forward to continuing the UN's work with the President in promoting democratic governance, strengthening the rule of law, supporting the review and reform of the security sector, and furthering socio-economic development.
President Horta's return is an opportunity for Timorese society to pull together with renewed determination for the future of Timor-Leste. Sustained peace depends upon the commitment of everyone, including politicians, the security sector, and the citizens of Timor-Leste."
For more information please call Allison Cooper on +670 7230453 or Lito Gama on +670 7311839
Former militia leader Eurico to meet Timor-Leste PM – Xinhua, April 17
Former pro-Indonesia militia leader Eurico Guterres said Thursday he would meet Timor-Leste Prime Minister Xanana Gusmão to push for reconciliation between the two countries.
The reconciliatory talk is set for April 28 in Dili.
Eurico, fresh from his acquittal of past human rights violation charges in Timor-Leste, said the reconciliation effort should go ahead under the Commission for Truth and Friendship, The Jakarta Post newspaper reported in its website.
The commission was set up by the two countries to seek out the truth surrounding the violence before and after the referendum for independence in the then Indonesian province in 1999.
The commission has delayed submitting its final report to both the presidents of Indonesia and Timor-Leste, pending the full recovery of Timor-Leste President Jose Ramos-Horta, who was shot in a coup attempt in January.
Horta may allow 'petitioners' back into army – ABC News, April 18
East Timor is considering measures to resolve a long-running dispute with rebel soldiers that triggered the violence in 2006.
President Jose Ramos-Horta has been in lengthy talks with disgruntled officers who deserted the army two years ago, including the rebel leaders blamed for the attempt on his life in February.
Nearly 600 soldiers left their barracks in protest against perceived discrimination in the defence forces in 2006, sparking civil unrest.
Dr Ramos-Horta says there may be a compromise solution to allow the so-called "petitioners" back into the army.
"Those petitioners who wish to return to the armed forces, must reapply, go through a recruitment process, to be screened," he said.
"Those who do not wish to return, they will get something equivalent to three years' salary."
In Timor-Leste, UN beefs up security ahead of President’s return – United Nations News Service, April 16
Security has been stepped up in Timor-Leste ahead of the return of President Jose Ramos-Horta on Thursday, some two months after he was wounded in an assassination attempt, a senior United Nations police official said today.
Ahead of the President’s return, the UN Integrated Mission in Timor-Leste (UNMIT) today unveiled strengthened security arrangements for the President on his arrival and afterwards, including checkpoints near his house and close protection by UN and Timorese police.
Mr. Ramos-Horta has been undergoing medical treatment in Darwin, Australia, after being shot at his home in the Timorese capital, Dili, by rebel soldiers on 11 February. Prime Minister Xanana Gusmão came under fire in a separate attack on his motorcade but was not injured.
The attacks are among several security-related challenges the young nation – which the UN helped shepherd to freedom in 2002 – has experienced during its short period of independence.
Speaking to reporters in Dili today, UNMIT’s Deputy Police Commissioner Juan-Carlos Arevalo said that one of the most important lessons from the attacks is that UN Police (UNPOL) should be reinstated into the security arrangements of the President.
Therefore, the Mission is providing members of the Portuguese Formed Police Unit (FPU) to be directly in charge of the close protection. ‘This team is very well equipped, very well trained and they have plenty of experience,’ said Mr. Arevalo.
‘Another important lesson is that we need to strengthen our links and our coordination among all the institutions related to security,’ he added. ‘We need to increase our communication channels, we need to coordinate even more… in procuring security and stability for East Timor.’
Horta welcomed home - The Australian, April 18
IT was a different kind of madness to that which has so often plagued the streets of Dili. This time it was an outpouring of affection and a celebration of survival.
Nine weeks after being shot down in cold blood, President Jose Ramos Horta yesterday challenged his deepest fears and drove slowly among thousands of East Timorese who lined the dusty streets to welcome him home.
Mr Ramos Horta stepped off a charter plane at 8am and looked tense as he took to the red carpet.
Dignitaries applauded and an armed guard snapped to attention. It made you wince to see his mates hug him and clap him on the back, right where he took two bullets.
The President began to relax as he moved among dancers and old friends. But old friends can be dangerous in Timor, as he knows.
It was then straight to a press conference, where Mr Ramos Horta said he would give "a few brief words.” But the former diplomat does not know how to be brief. He talked at great length in Tetum and Portuguese. Strangely, it was when he was talking in English that he broke down and cried.
"Sorry, I'm emotional. Even though I was shot and almost killed, I didn't want Mr Salsinha or anyone else to die," said the President, referring to the rebel leader who remains at large.
Mr Ramos Horta told of how he had believed he had built a warm relationship with the rebels, giving them money out of his pocket and driving up and down the mountains to win their trust and resolve the issue.
Then he toughened up and sent a message to Salsinha, who has said he will hand himself in only to Mr Ramos Horta. The President said he didn't want Salsinha.
"I prefer he takes himself to his church in Gleno (in the west) but not to me," he said. "He has to surrender to justice."
Mr Ramos Horta said he believed individuals in Indonesia had been urging Major Alfredo Reinado, who was killed by the President's guard during the attack in which Mr Ramos Horta was shot, to act against him.
He insisted the Indonesian Government had no part in the events.
Then the President left the airport complex surrounded by the hard men of East Timor, the GNR, or Portuguese riot police, who jogged alongside his vehicle.
Mr Ramos Horta gave an unscripted address to parliament, telling MPs their most important work in coming months related to "the barefoot and illiterate" people who were impatient and hungry.
He warned of a coming crisis with rising rice prices.
After the speech, Acting President Fernando de Araujo officially handed back the presidency to Mr Ramos Horta. The President left the parliament and headed east out of town to his home in Metiaut, on a newly laid bitumen road that workers had been working around the clock to ready for his return.
Mr Ramos Horta, who has admitted to being deeply traumatized by being shot, told The Australian he would know for sure how well he had recovered emotionally only when he saw the spot where he was shot.
But the President was too distracted to consider such matters. Before reaching his house, he got out of his car at a monument on a roundabout, where three local villages had combined to perform traditional dances.
A marching band of Catholic school children walked him up the road to his door, and Mr Ramos Horta paused only briefly to consider the spot where he was taken down.
Then it was inside for lunch with his family, and no more official program for the day.
Thousands of T-shirts with images of Mr Ramos Horta and the Pope had been distributed for his return, with the words "Bemvindo Sr President.”
Welcome home, Mr President.
domingo, abril 20, 2008
SBY to investigate Alfredo’s supporters in Indonesia – Timor Post
Por Malai Azul 2 à(s) 01:50
Obrigado pela solidariedade, Margarida!
Mensagem inicial - 16 de Maio de 2006
"Apesar de frágil, Timor-Leste é uma jovem democracia em que acreditamos. É o país que escolhemos para viver e trabalhar. Desde dia 28 de Abril muito se tem dito sobre a situação em Timor-Leste. Boatos, rumores, alertas, declarações de países estrangeiros, inocentes ou não, têm servido para transmitir um clima de conflito e insegurança que não corresponde ao que vivemos. Vamos tentar transmitir o que se passa aqui. Não o que ouvimos dizer... "