sábado, março 03, 2007

NOBEL DA PAZ
Ba
PREZIDENTE

José Ramos-Horta


M E D I A R E L E A S E
28 February 2007

MESSAGES OF SUPPORT FOR RAMOS-HORTA CANDIDACY POUR IN

Following the public announcement in Laga on Sunday that he is a candidate to the Presidency of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste, Nobel Peace Laureate Dr José Ramos-Horta received a large number of messages of congratulations and offers of support.

They poured in from all levels of Timor-Leste’s society from North, South, East and West, and from neighbouring Asian countries and the rest of the world.

“I was touched by the level of trust placed in me by the most humble of my fellow Timorese, and the warm wishes from all corners of the nation.

“I don’t know if I am worthy of the trust that the people have placed in me. But I ask God to guide me so that I don’t betray their trust. The only thing that I can promise with absolute certainty is that if I become President on April 9 is to continue my unbroken lifelong commitment to my people, to my country.

“In the last few days I have received numerous expressions of congratulations, friendship and support from very the most disadvantaged members of our great people, and I do thank them wholeheartedly.

““I know that I have the capacities and capabilities to assume the highest office in the land and what better role can one aspire to serve the people to ensure a bright future to Timor-Leste,” Dr Ramos-Horta said.

An indication of the widespread support for the Nobel Peace Laureate’s candidacy for President was the fact that 7164 of voting citizens from the 13 districts of Timor-Leste from all walks of life proposed Dr Ramos-Horta as a candidate, well above the minimum number of 5,000 required under the law.

As well, in accordance with clause 2 of Article 8 of Law No. 7/2006, Law on the election of the President of the Republic, Dr Ramos-Horta has also written to President Xanana Gusmão seeking “release from the exercise of his functions” as Prime Minister and Minister for Defence for the period of time spent in the electoral campaign, which lasts for 15 days and ends 2 days before the day scheduled for election. – ENDS.

NOTA DE RODAPÉ:

Os comunicados de imprensa de Ramos-Horta em inglês são para os "amigos" estrangeiros lerem... porque não parecem ser para os eleitores timorenses... Ou será só uma questão de vaidade?

Apreciamos a decisão de suspender as suas funções de PM durante a campanha eleitoral e de ter anunciado que não utilizaria os bens do Estado para a sua campanha.

Esperamos que este comunicado não tenha sido feito num gabinete Palácio do Governo, com a ajuda de algum assessor estrangeiro do PM...

Sem comentários:

Traduções

Todas as traduções de inglês para português (e também de francês para português) são feitas pela Margarida, que conhecemos recentemente, mas que desde sempre nos ajuda.

Obrigado pela solidariedade, Margarida!

Mensagem inicial - 16 de Maio de 2006

"Apesar de frágil, Timor-Leste é uma jovem democracia em que acreditamos. É o país que escolhemos para viver e trabalhar. Desde dia 28 de Abril muito se tem dito sobre a situação em Timor-Leste. Boatos, rumores, alertas, declarações de países estrangeiros, inocentes ou não, têm servido para transmitir um clima de conflito e insegurança que não corresponde ao que vivemos. Vamos tentar transmitir o que se passa aqui. Não o que ouvimos dizer... "
 

Malai Azul. Lives in East Timor/Dili, speaks Portuguese and English.
This is my blogchalk: Timor, Timor-Leste, East Timor, Dili, Portuguese, English, Malai Azul, politica, situação, Xanana, Ramos-Horta, Alkatiri, Conflito, Crise, ISF, GNR, UNPOL, UNMIT, ONU, UN.